In late September 1897, the foundation of the Des Moines Golf and Country Club was established. Newspaper accounts have the details: “A forty-acre field owned by Mr. J.S. Polk just north of the station at the end of Ingersoll Line will be fitted up for the grounds. Mr. Polk has consented to rent the ground to the club and become a member himself.”
An organizational meeting on October 7, 1897 ratified articles of incorporation. Mr. N.T. Guernsey was elected as the first president of the new club. The incorporation papers were filed in Polk County on October 11. And so it was done!
In 1923 the Ashworth estate in West Des Moines was purchased and a new 18-hole golf course was designed. Following a devastating fire in 1946, a new clubhouse was built and membership rose to 365.
In 1966 the east-west freeway cut through the heart of the golf course and members voted to build a dynamic new facility, featuring two golf courses, doubling the size of the clubhouse as well as membership.
Dedicated in 1970, the club relocated to the beautiful hillside overlooking a valley in West Des Moines where it is currently located. The impressive tri-level clubhouse became the hub of all activities. During the years since, the club has added twelve tennis courts, an Olympic-sized pool and the Pool and Tennis Pavilion.